Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Guest Post - Shelby from Shelby Swatches

Good morning everyone!! I'm having a great vacation so far! We drove up from Miami to Orlando last night and today we are going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! I am beyond excited for that. Anyways, I have another fantastic guest post for you guys, this time it's Shelby from her youtube channel Shelby Swatches! Shelby is pretty much my wax BFF, we talk every day and I'm so glad to call her a friend. She also happens to have great taste in wax, so please enjoy her post! She will be sharing her top 10 picks for spring!!

~~~~
Top Ten Picks for Spring

Hello ladies (and gentlemen)! I'm Shelby (Shelby Swatches on Youtube) and last month, Jacqui asked me if I could do a guest post on her blog while she is on vacation. Of course I said yes! Jacqui and I knew of one another through our nail blogs, but once she found out I was into wax, she messaged me and wanted to send me some wax. We did our first swap and ever since, we've been super close! We talk every day about wax, life and whatever else we feel like. I consider her one of my closest friends, even though she lives across the country! :) Enough of my chitter chatter; I thought I'd do a "Top Ten Picks for Spring", since I knew that would be something different than what I'd do on my channel. I don't have all of the scents to physically show you, since I used some of them up, but I still have quite a few. So let's get into it! These are in no particular order.



1. Front Porch Serendipity: Lately I've really been getting into the scent serendipity. I didn't know what all the hype was about on YouTube until I tried the scent. Boy, was everyone right! This scent is phenomenal. I like all serendipity scents, but I particularly like Front Porch's take on it. FP has an equal amount of cherry and coconut plus some vanilla and slight citrus, which make it even better! I love this scent for this time of year, fruity but not overly so. Also, I like to blend this with Better Homes & Gardens Wild Berry Cheesecake- can you say "yum"!?

2. Wildberry Mousse: I love wildberry mousse scents! In the photo, I have Shayz Scentz' version, but I like any wildberry mousse! I have not yet tried Shayz' version though. wildberry mousse is the perfect combo of berries and a creamy mousse. Since it is very creamy, it's more of a bakery berry, rather than a freshly picked berry. I recently tried Candles from the Keeping Room's wildberry mousse and it was awesome! This scent could also be a great blender with other fruity scents!

3. Shayz Scentz Pearberry (type): Pearberry is a Bath & Body Works dupe I believe, although I have never tried the BBW fragrance. I can't say how dead on this is to the original, but I love it! I get a strong pear note and a backdrop of another fruit- not sure if it's berry. This scent also has a slight perfume or shampoo note to it, which I really like. It's a fresher fruit scent, rather than creamy. Shayz Scentz' version was kick-butt strong and that's only using 1 sunny tart! I cannot wait to try this scent from other vendors, I could easily see it becoming one of my all-time favorites.



4. The Bathing Garden Lemon Curd & Rose Milk: I got this as a gift from Jacqui back in January in our swap! Some of my recent favorites have been from her! This scent is a creamy lemon on the top and a mellowed-out rose scent on the bottom of the clamshell (it's a layered tart). Usually I'm not a huge floral fan, but in this blend the rose is great! Like I said, the rose scent is mellowed out a bit and the lemon curd mellows it out even more. I love the combo of the citrus and floral, it's a surprisingly pleasing combination. Nothing says spring like a floral, so I had to include this one!

5. Scent Appeal Candles Iced Tea Twist: I cannot get enough of this scent! I've been saving it until the owner adds more stock of it to her Etsy store; isn't it funny how we like to hoard our favorite scents? I am a huge iced tea drinker in the spring and summer, so this is the epitome of those months to me! It's a nice black tea blended with a tart lemon. Love this blend! I'm always on the hunt for non-floral tea scents and this definitely fits the bill. Could not have enough good things to say about this! I just love it! Also, if you end up trying this vendor, always use 2 cubes in a 24 watt hot plate, her stuff does best in that type of warmer.



6. Candles from the Keeping Room Berry Verbena: I am on a roll with the berry scents! This one is different though. This is a citrus berry scent with a slight green note from the verbena. I originally tried this scent from Ten Digit Creations and loved that version just as much! This scent is kick butt strong and is sweet and fresh all at once. Love this and so glad I ordered an 8oz bag! It's not the easiest to describe, but if you try it, I know you won't regret it, trust me :)

7. Candles from the Keeping Room Glazed Cinnamon Donuts: Wait, a bakery scent for spring?! Yup! I love "breakfast" scents in the morning, even in the spring! I also got this as a gift from Jacqui and I love it so much! It's the perfect donut scent- lots of sugar, a slight cinnamon scent, and a nice glazed donut. Basically any donut scent is up my alley, but this one is especially yummy. Tiffany's Donut Shop & Ultimate Donut are others that I greatly enjoy too.

Scents without photos:

8. Kissing Booth Fantasy: First off, I am a huge sucker for anything Disney and since this scent is named after Fantasy Land, it immediately had my heart! I received this as a gift from my friend Laurie on YouTube and really enjoyed it! It was only a sample, but it threw like crazy. I have a whole clamshell coming in my KB order and am super stoked. This is a berries and cream type of scent. It's not as creamy as wildberry mousse, but not as fresh as pearberry or berry verbena- it's somewhere in the middle and perfectly sweet! 

9. Front Porch Blackberry Marshmallow Butter Jam Cookies: Yet another berry scent, but this leans way onto the bakery end of fruit! It's a combo of blackberry jam, marshmallow and butter cookies. I received this in my marshmallow sampler, so I am unsure if they carry it normally, but I know they carry the scent minus the marshmallow! This was not overly floral (sometimes blackberry can be)- the marshmallow and bakery note really mellowed it out! I wish I had lots of this scent, it was awesome! The scent throw was great and it made me want to make thumbprint cookies! 

10. Orchid Lake Candles & Soaps Chubba Dubba: Last but certainly not least is this wonderful citrus scent. I received this as a sample in my OLC order and fell in love! It's a citrus blend with a strong lemongrass note. I cannot get enough of lemongrass, so that is why I'm partial to this scent. For a little sample, this threw like crazy! It's nice and fresh for the spring, probably would be perfect for cleaning day or as a kitchen scent!


That's all I have for now! Thank you Jacqui for asking me to guest post, I had a lot of fun! I hope you guys enjoyed this post and check out my YouTube channel if you're interested in my haul and review videos :)

~~~~

Thanks for the awesome post Shelby! Your picks are fantastic and I love the way that you described all the scents! Thank you so much Shelby for guest posting for me today <3 Hope you all have a fabulous day and I will see you all soon for the conclusion of the Guest Post week here at The Scholarly Nail's Wax Blog!

6 comments:

  1. I love watching shelby's youtube videos!! :) I have got to get my hands on that lemon curd & rose milk. I have heard just so many great things about it.

    On another note OMG OMG I am so jealous of you going to Wizarding world of harry potter. Every since I heard it opened I have been wanting to go :) Hope you have a great time & continue enjoying your wonderful vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon Curd and Rose Milk is awesome! Definitely a must have. Harry Potter was amazing, by the way! Definitely worth a trip =)

      Delete
  2. Great guest post, Shelby! I fell in love with Serendipity as well, it's so awesome! I really need to check out some iced tea scents, you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked my bathing garden order that I just got in the mail today & I did order lemon curd and rose milk :) yayy lol Can't wait to smell everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks, Shelby! I love your videos, too. :)

    FP's serendipity is one of my favorites, it's a really strong scent! Berry Verbena and Iced Tea Twist sound really, really great, I'll try to track them down. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I get off my wax ban want to place an order with OLC and Chubba Dubba will be on the list, love lemongrass

    ReplyDelete