Monday, February 18, 2013

Rosegirls Sampler Order - Cold Sniff Reviews

Hi everyone!! I slept through most of the day today due to a pretty substantial migraine, so here I am at 4 AM and I can't sleep for the life of me. Since I'm up, I figured why not do something productive and show you all my most recent Rosegirls haul!

Rosegirls is quickly becoming a favorite vendor of mine. I've been sucked into the world of chunks and there doesn't seem to be any turning back. I mentioned in my last post about Rosegirls that they only open one day a month for orders, and on that day they will have a limited number of samplers available. The samplers contain a random assortment of 20 different chunks for $30. Because these samplers are so limited in quantity and in such high demand, you have to stalk to site and hop right on it when they open. So, on February 1st, I set my alarm for 6 AM and I was right on time to snag myself my very first sampler from Rosegirls!

TAT on this was about 2 weeks, which is on the very early end of their stated 2-5 week TAT. I also did a fairly large order for some bags as well, but that order was placed a bit later in the morning (closer to 7 AM) so I don't expect that order to arrive for another few weeks or so. I'm glad to have these sample chunks to tide me over until then! 

This package contained 21 chunks, so I assume one was sent as a sample. Very thankful for that! As these lots are random, I'm not sure which is the sample and which are the scents in the sampler. I've seen one youtube video so far of someone's chunk sampler haul, and they got pretty much the same scents I did with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 differences. Anyways, that's not important. What's important is how amazing these gorgeous chunks smell! Part of the fun of getting a sampler box is that it's a gamble. You don't know what you're going to get! I did have a fair amount of likes and dislikes in this box. So, let's jump right into the cold sniff reviews.

The site is closed for ordering right now so I do not have access to the scent descriptions for these. I am fairly certain what is in these blends though, and the ones I was unsure of, I inquired about on the RG Facebok page so I've come prepared =)



  • Pumpkin Chai Bread - Right off the bat, I am hit with the super strong scent of zucchini bread. Yuck. This is not the creamy zucchini bread note, but more of a spicy, corn chip zucchini bread note. I know a lot of people like this kind of scent so I will be passing it on to another home. I don't get much pumpkin in this but there is a slight hint of spice.
  • Caramel Apple Puff Pastry - This is amazing. When I first saw the scent description I thought it would be a caramel bakery scent with added bakery but it's actually a spicy apple pie scent with added caramel. YUM! I think I may have to grab a bag in this in an upcoming order.
  • Blueberry Cobbler Bread - Okay, definitely do not like their bread scent at all. Again, this has that strong spicy zucchini bread note. The blueberry cobbler does tone it down quite a bit but it's still too much bread for me. I can see how this would be a popular scent for zucchini lovers. 
  • Simply Amazing Bakery - This is very similar to Front Porch's famous Amazing Bakery scent with perhaps a teensy bit more apple. I can smell the pink sugar, zucchini bread and apple pie notes in this. Not a favorite but I'm sure this will make another wax lover very happy!
  • Zucchini Bread Noel - Again, not a fan of zucchini bread. I can smell the VBN in this but it doesn't tone down that strong ZB note enough for me. Another one I'm going to pass on.
  • Orange Danish Coffee - This was a huge surprise for me! I normally don't like coffee scents but there's something about the way it's blended with orange here that I actually really like. I kept putting this one on the swap pile, sniffing it again, taking it back, putting it back on the swap pile, taking it back and so on until I finally decided once and for all that I will give this one a fair shot! You get a really nice creamy orange bakery scent mixed with a coffee note. I can smell both notes equally. Really nice blend!
  • Royal Sweet Potato Pie - This is a blend of their royal sugar cookie and sweet potato pie scents. I do like it but I have enough sweet potato scents in my stash that I felt that someone else would probably get more enjoyment out of it than I would.
  • Spa Retreat - This one is a relaxing blend of herbal lavender and eucalyptus. Really digging this one! I asked about the notes on this one on Facebook and have learned that sadly this blend has been discontinued. Maybe I'll make some custom muffins in this scent one day. The lavender has a bit of a powdery note in this that compliments the eucalyptus nicely. 
  • Peppermint Noel - This is a great strong peppermint scent blended with VBN. You can't go wrong with a peppermint vanilla scent! The VBN cuts the sharpness of the peppermint and adds a nice sweetness. This one is a huge chunk! I'll definitely be able to get a few uses out of this one.
  • Lavender Marshmallow - This is a nice blend of sweet lavender and marshmallow. Pretty standard, nothing too crazy. I did like it but it didn't wow me. 
  • Berrylicious Lavnder - Now this one was definitely a WOW for me. It is a blend of berries and lavender. It smells EXACTLY like the Teavana blueberry tea that my husband got me for my birthday. I put the tea and the chunk side-by-side and they smell the same. Amazing! Definitely bag-worthy.
  • Turkish Bazaar - This was another scent that I was waffling on and have finally decided that this one will not find permanent residence in my stash. It is a blend of exotic spices and soft woods. The "soft woods" note is quite perfume-y and powdery and unfortunately, is the dominant note in the blend. If only the blend was heavier on the spice notes, I think I would like this one a lot more. Not a keeper for me, though I can see how people would like this one.
  • Cranberry Lodge - This was yet another scent that I had to keep smelling to determine whether or not I was going to keep. In the end, I really like this one and I will be keeping it. I'm really picky with cranberry scents so I didn't think I was going to like this one. The "lodge" part of the scent is a spicy pine note I believe. Or maybe the spice I'm picking up on is because it is a spiced cranberry scent. Either way I'm really digging this blend. This is another huge chunk that I will be able to get multiple uses from. This is another great thing about samplers - you get to try things you would have normally never ordered yourself. 
  • Ooh La La - This is a blend of Pink Sugar, strawberry and vanilla musk. The PS and musk notes stand out the most to me, so it's not a favorite. I wish the strawberry stood out a bit more in this. However, it is one of RG's most popular blends so I'm sure someone else will be delighted to have this one. 
  • Grapefruit Swizzle Sticks - HOLY PIEROGIES THIS IS PHENOMENAL. This is THE grapefruit scent I have been waiting for my whole life. Okay, maybe not my whole life but you get the idea. The grapefruit scent in this smells exactly like slicing open a grapefruit, tart and juicy. The swizzle sticks scent is described as a super sweet sugary glaze, so this makes the chunk smell like a fresh grapefruit sprinkled with sugar. I have been disappointed by grapefruit scents lately so I didn't order any bags in this scent in my Feb. 1st bag order. Big mistake! I'll definitely be needing a truckload of this next time they open. 
  • Apple Eclipse - This smells exactly like an apple Jolly Rancher. I hate fake apple scents so this one is a no-go for me. I'll be finding a new home for this one.
  • Cereal Killer Noel - Cereal Killer is their Fruit Loops scent, which is blended here with VBN. Love Fruit Loops, love it blended with VBN so this is definitely a keeper! Usually Fruit Loops scents overtake whatever they're blended with but I get a lot of VBN with RG's blend. Really looking forward to melting this one!
  • Candy Land - This is a blend of cotton candy and bubble gum. I like sweet scents but this one borders on the edge of too sweet for me. I like the idea of it but I don't think I'll be keeping this one. Maybe it would smell better blended with a fruit scent, like strawberry. Ooooh I think I'm getting an idea for a custom pie! 
  • Siren's Song Noel - Siren's Song is their dupe for VS Love Spell. A lot of people hate Love Spell and feel that it is overdone but I will always love it. I've never smelled it blended with VBN but it's truly amazing! Love this one. It was an LE for Valentine's Day, so I'm not sure if they carry this one year round.
  • Kaelyn's Banana Bubblegum - This is a really fun blend! Here is an example of how bubble gum smells much better blended with some sort of fruit. You all know me, I love my banana scents so this is definitely a winner for me. The banana is a very sugary, banana Runts kind of scent so it is quite sweet. This is the kind of sweet I can do!
  • Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream - Love this one!! It's a nice tart raspberry scent blended with a creamy vanilla ice cream note. I have a bag of Raspberry Marshmallow coming so even though this one is quite nice, I'll be passing it on in a RR box for someone else to enjoy. 
Here are some of the beautiful chunks up close and personal:


All in all, I'm so glad to have gotten this sampler. Even though I'm going to end up partying with half of these, it was a great investment to help determine what I like and don't like from Rosegirls and it helped me plan out some of my future orders. I don't think I've ever been more excited about a wax order than I was about this one. It was like Christmas when I opened the package! 

Alrighty, that will be all for now, I'm going to try to get some shut eye. Hope you all had a fantastic weekend and I'll see you again tomorrow (well, later today) for my Weekly Wax Meltdown!

10 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! Candy Land & Banana Bubblegum sound really fun! I really like the one zucchini bread blend you sent me, I'm curious if ill love or of hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous?! I'm curious to see how you like zucchini bread scents as well. I believe I sent you the FP one, right? FP's zucchini bread is one of the creamier ones I've smelled so I don't mind it as much as other ZB scents. Still not a fan though! haha. Me and ZB just don't get along =)

      Delete
  2. I'm new to Rosegirls, know very little about them, but received one chunk to try from a bloggy friend and LOVE it. And then I found out Rosegirls is local to me, only about 20 minutes away! I'm soooooo considering getting a sampler now, just to try a variety of scents.

    Bummer that they are another one who uses zucchini bread for their 'bread' scents. I am NOT a fan of zucchini bread scents.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb! That's awesome that you live so close to them. Their stuff really is great, I've never had more fun opening wax mail than I did with this sampler! I'd definitely recommend trying it =) I'm not a fan of zucchini bread either, I am a little bummed that they use it as their bread note. I love how CFTKR has several different bread scents that they use with their tarts. Oh well, plenty of other RG scents that I'm crazy for =)

      Delete
  3. It seems like your order was so hit or miss! You got a few awesome scents and quite a few "meh" scents. I'm so glad you found your grapefruit scent!! :) I can see you ordering a ton of that after the ban!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh the ban will be preventing me from placing a March order, I suppose. Hmm maybe I'll make an exception just to get a bag of the grapefruit swizzle sticks =)

      Delete
  4. Great review! I wish I would have gotten the Apple Eclipse in my order. That sounds right up my alley. I also thought the Carmel Apple Puff Pastry would be sweeter by reading the description. The cinnamon makes it a no go for me. I will send my chunk to you if you would like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you like candied green apple scents, you would definitely love Apple Eclipse! That is very generous of you to offer your Caramel Apple Puff Pastry chunk, I would gladly take it off your hands. SO sweet of you! Shoot me an e-mail =)

      Delete
  5. I emailed you through youtube because I couldn't figure out how to do it on here. Glad to send it to a good home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your reviews! Wish they didn't use corn chip bread - and the scent just grows stronger over time :(.

    ReplyDelete