Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shayz Scents Haul - First Impressions and Cold Sniff Reviews

Now I have for you my very first haul from Shayz Scents!


Shayz Scentz is a fairly popular vendor in the wax world and I'm very excited to share my very first haul from them! I ordered when they were having a sale, I believe it was 4 free scent shots and free shipping with any order $25 and over. Their normal deal is 3 free scent shots and free shipping, so basically the sale was just for an extra scent shot. Still a good deal nonetheless! TAT on this order was about a week which was super fast considering they were having a sale. 

I picked out some pretty random scents in this order, a lot of them were beyond my normal "scent comfort zone."  I would say I like about half of what I got in this order. I wish I would have picked some scents that were more to my liking. Oh well, there are still some great ones in this order so let's jump right into what I purchased. I don't remember which ones were the free ones, but keep in mind that 4 of these were free. 

  • Pink Raspberry Macaroon - I am getting mostly Pink Sugar out of this one with a slight hint of the raspberry scent. I was hoping for more raspberry in this. Not bad but definitely not a favorite.
  • Peachy Pink - This, however, was my favorite scent in this order by far! It is the perfect blend of Pink Sugar and peach, not one overpowers the other. I'm really into peach scents lately so this is a nice addition to my stash of peach tarts. Nice and strong off of cold sniff.
  • Pink Fire - This is another PS blend where the pink note overpowers the other. It is blended with cinnamon here. I can definitely smell the cinnamon and it is a good, true cinnamon scent but if it were a tinge stronger than the PS I think I would like it more. Of course the true test will be when I melt it.
  • Apple Mint Jelly - This is a really interesting blend. I'm not sure I'm loving any of the other apple scents that I ordered but I do like this one. The mint adds a really nice freshness to the red apple scent. Very unique!
  • Pistachio Macaroon - This is a nice pistachio scent with a crunchy cookie note from the macaroon. Maybe a hint of coconut as well? It's nice but nothing that jumps out at me. 
  • Pumpkin Crunch Cookies - This one is very, very light off of cold throw. I get a hint of a sweet cookie note and a tiny bit of spice. This scent is a favorite of mine from CFTKR so I was hoping to find a good replacement until she restocks this scent. This is decidedly NOT a good replacement.
  • Doodle Cookies - This is a blend of their snickerdoodle and regular cookie scents. I love this one! It's a very strong and rich cookie scent. It's hard to find a cookie scent that is strong on its own but this is a keeper for sure!
  • Bedtime Snack - This scent is so weird. It smells like oranges and a fresh cotton scent. Definitely not working for me but I know a lot of people like this one.
  • Pumpkin Pickin - This is a lovely, spicy pumpkin scent. I can smell the sweet pumpkin filling as well as all the spices. I can see this becoming a favorite pumpkin scent for fall!
  • Crystal Light Peach Lemonade - I've heard that a lot of people don't like Shayz' lemonade scents and I think I know why. The lemonade is more of a fizzy pop scent than a true lemonade. But you know me, I am obsessed with effervescent scents so I love this one! It's mostly the fizzy pop scent with a bit of sweet peach. Yum!
  • Pineapple Pappy - This is supposed to be a blend of pineapple and paprika and some other stuff. All you need to know is that this smells like a generic bathroom air freshener. Do not want.
  • Caramelized Lemons - This sounds good in theory but it was a major letdown. You definitely get a strong caramel note and a strong lemon note but they do not work well together at all in this blend. The lemon is more on the "cleaner lemon" side which means it smells like caramel Pledge. Yuck!
  • Sunny Buns - This is a blend of pineapple, coconut, peach and banana. All things I love! But somehow, I am not loving this blend. Again, I am getting a very generic smell from this one. Not bad but not great.
  • Flip Floppers - This is a coconut and vanilla blend that totally missed the mark for me. The coconut is oddly perfumey in this one. I know a lot of people like this one though so I will find a good home for it.
  • Cinnamon Apple Marshmallow - I don't know what it is, but there is something off about Shayz cinnamon apple. It doesn't really smell like any cinnamon apple scent I've smelled before. Maybe it's because it's a green apple scent blended with cinnamon? Either way, I haven't made up my mind about this one yet. I'll have to melt it and see.
  • Amaretto - This is an amazing and strong amaretto scent! Lots of almond and cherry in this one. Smells just like the liqueur!
  • Blueberry Lemonade - Again, this lemonade is almost identical to a fizzy pop scent. It's really nice and fruity blended with the blueberry scent. Definitely a keeper!
  • Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes - This smells exactly like a fresh stack of blueberry pancakes! I don't get a maple note from this, just a battery blueberry scent. Delish!!
  • OMG - This is a blend of cinnamon apple and banana. An unusual combo but definitely something that seems like it would be right up my alley. It is nice but again, not loving the apple note in here. It smells kind of like a cinnamon apple herbal tea which is nice. But I was expecting to smell more of the banana note in this one.
  • Island Kola Nut - Now this is a really nice coconut and vanilla blend. The coconut in this is rich and sweet and the vanilla adds a creamy note to the scent. This is more of a true coconut scent than the plastic-y blend found in Flip Floppers. Loving this one!
  • Creamy Vanilla (freebie) - The label was located on tissue paper after this picture was taken. This is just a nice, run-of-the-mill vanilla scent. No bakery notes to it, just a fresh vanilla. Very nice!
  • Mystery Scent (freebie) - Have no idea what this one is. I'm not getting much of a smell off of this one.
  • Blue Breeze - This is a blend of Blue Sugar and lots of different fruits. I'm so happy to see vendors using Blue Sugar to blend with other scents! Pink Sugar is the golden standard for blending but I feel like Blue Sugar would be great in a lot of blends as well. However, I'm not quite sure that I'm loving this particular blend. There's something about it that smells burnt to me. But I've got to give them credit for using Blue Sugar! 
~~~~

Edited to add: Overall, I don't think that Shayz is going to be a favorite vendor. I'm not really overly impressed with anything I received in this order other than Peachy Pink. I'll use up the ones that I have but I don't see myself placing another order with this vendor.

Thanks for stopping by today everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the day and I will see you all soon <3

4 comments:

  1. Seems like you scored some good scents! Flip floppers wasn't doing it for me either haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scored some good scents but the rest were just not to my liking. I think I am going to see how they melt before I order again.

      Delete
  2. Shayz is next on my list of vendors to try. Free shipping over 25 & 3 free sent shots?! Doodle Cookies sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great deal!! Doodle Cookies is a good one =)

      Delete